The Daiquiri is a classic cocktail that’s been enjoyed for over a hundred years. It's a simple and refreshing drink that can be made with just three ingredients - rum, lime juice, and sugar. Enjoy it as an after-dinner treat on hot summer days or as an accompaniment for an evening of entertaining friends, providing the perfect light refreshment and fruity tipple. We’ve got a simple recipe you can follow, too, so grab your shaker and let's get started!
A daiquiri is on every list of classic cocktails. It's a simple rum-based drink that’s made lighter with the addition of tart lime juice and sweet sugar from the simple syrup. The result is a refreshing and fruity beverage that’s wonderfully boozy! Sip one on a sandy beach in summer, enjoy from your garden on a warm evening or lighten colder days with a fruity tipple. It’s also very versatile, allowing you to play with the ingredients to suit your palette.
To fix your own daiquiri from the comfort of your home, you’ll need:
Add your ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake until chilled, and strain into a Cocktail Glass. Easy!
You can adjust these basic three ingredients to suit your taste. Add a splash more simple syrup for a sweeter cocktail or a dash more lime juice for a tarter, fruitier taste. A twist of lime never goes amiss, either, for the perfect short cocktail.
Simple syrup is a staple of a Daiquiri. Make your own using 1 cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of water, following these instructions:
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water
- Heat the mixture over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved completely
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the syrup to cool thoroughly
- Once the syrup has cooled, transfer it to a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid
- Store the simple syrup in the refrigerator for up to 1 month
You can switch up the end result of your daiquiri by changing the recipe ever so slightly. The best variations use fruit, sticking to the tropical vibe that a daiquiri brings to the table. Take a look at some of these ideas for inspiration:
1. Strawberry Daiquiri: In a blender, blend two cups of fresh or frozen strawberries, rum, lime juice, and simple syrup. You can add ice cubes to make it slushier.
2. Pineapple Daiquiri: Blend two cups of fresh or canned pineapple, rum, lime juice, and honey. If the pineapple is not sweet enough, add some simple syrup.
3. Mango Daiquiri: Blend two cups of mango chunks, rum, lime juice, and agave nectar. You can add a pinch of chilli powder, too, for a spicy kick.
4. Coconut Daiquiri: Blend two cups of coconut water or coconut milk with your rum and lime juice, along with coconut cream. Add shredded coconut for a garnish.
We’re cocktail enthusiasts at UrbanBar, and love sharing the art of mixology with budding bartenders and home-bar professionals! If you’re keen on learning more, be sure to check out our Educational Spirit Courses. With an expert mixologist leading the lessons and online videos that you can take at your own pace, it’s the ideal way to hone your skills.